2 Peter 3:13-14
Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwells righteousness.…
1. Observe, that whatever be our state or character, we shall all be found of God. If we are sinners, and die such, our sins will find us out.
2. As all will be found of God at last, so there are some who will be "found of Him in peace." Such as have had the enmity of their hearts slain by Divine grace. This it is that heightens every other blessing, alleviates every affliction, and supports in the agonies of death.
3. In order to be found in peace at last, it is needful that we seek it here with diligence. Let us carefully examine into the state of our souls. Occupy till He come, and then His coming will be neither a terror nor surprise.
4. Let us now inquire who they are that will be found of God in peace.
(1) Those only whom God finds in this world, and brings into a state of grace.
(2) Those shall be found of God in peace who here have found Him. Some seek and find Him in the closet, some in the public assembly, and some on a sick and dying bed. Some in their youth, and others in more advanced years. If we do not find Him as a friend and a father, He will find us as a judge and avenger.
(3) Those only will be found of God in peace who are found in Christ. This is what Paul so earnestly desired: "That I may win Christ, and be found in Him."(4) Those only will be found of Him in peace in whom some good thing is found towards the Lord God of Israel. Our nature must be renewed.
(5) Those only will be found of God in peace whom He finds walking in the paths of peace. Religion does not so much consist in talking of God as in acting for Him; not in theory but in practice. Improvement:
1. The subject administers reproof to the careless, who content themselves with some sluggish attempts, but who are never in earnest about salvation.
2. We may hence learn that it is possible for persons to be satisfied about themselves, and to have a kind of peace in their own minds, and yet not be found of God in peace.
3. We see the suitableness and importance of the advice given us in the text: "Be diligent, that ye may be found of Him in peace."
(B. Beddome, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.