That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
1. The end of all God's grace and mercy towards believers in Christ, is for the manifestation of His glory, and praise of His name. This must teach us, that whatever good things God has bestowed upon us, we make God known by it.
2. All the saving graces of God are most worthy the consideration of all Christians in all ages. If we be God's children, let us show it by bringing forth eternal and immortal fruit to His glory.
3. The special favour of God consists in the giving of Christ. (1 John 4:9; Romans 5:6).
4. All God's kindness, and the fruit thereof, must come to us through Christ.
(1) No room for presumption.
(2) No room for despair.
5. All our blessings are treasured up in Christ.
6. In all things Christ hath the preeminence.
7. From hence note the stability of all the blessings given to the faithful. (2 Timothy 1:12).
(1) This is full of comfort. If one had earthly treasure, we are glad when it is so bestowed that we may be sure of it, and so be free from care. Well, Christ is in heaven, our true treasure, where neither thief, nor moth, nor canker can come; this is our happiness, that He keeps our treasure; it is out of the reach of devils and men; were it in our own hand, we should soon betray it; if we are set in heaven with Christ, Christ may as soon be pulled out of heaven, as we disappointed of our inheritance.
Parallel VersesKJV: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.