According as he has chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
I. THE SPIRITUAL BLESSING.
1. The term election is sometimes used for that election which is made in temporary execution of God's purpose;
(1) whether it be a separating of men to the state of grace, which makes them as the chosen first fruits of the creation (John 15:19; 1 Peter 1:2); or(2) a separating of them to any office and dignity. Saul, Judas.
2. But here it means that choice which God made with Himself from all eternity. From this flow all the blessings we receive, even as the body and boughs and branches of the tree issue from the root. What a cause for thankfulness is here!
II. THE PERSONS. Those who have true faith and holiness. As we may know faith, so we may know election. If we see in any a faith unfeigned and true endeavour after holiness, we may charitably judge that such are elected.
III. THE ORDER OF ELECTION.
1. Christ, the Head.
2. From Christ it descends to us His members.
IV. THE TIME. Before all worlds (2 Timothy 1:9; John 17:24).
V. THE END.
1. God has of grace chosen us to the supernatural life.
2. He has not only chosen us to this supernatural life, but to the perfection of it.
3. He has called us to this life, that we may live forever in His presence.
Parallel VersesKJV: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: