Now therefore you are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
1. Believers are fellow citizens.
(1) Bound to seek each other's good.
(2) Bound to conform to the customs of their city.
(3) This teaches us our happiness when we are brought to believe, and should stimulate our faith.
(4) Citizens of Bethel must not communicate with Babylon.
2. Believers are conjoined as members of one family. This is a stricter bond than the former, and should serve to increase love. We being confined within one family, a common roof under which we all live and board, we must be all of one heart, at peace and unity; and the God of love and peace will be with us.
3. It is God's family.
(1) Therefore we must live to Him. The household is bound to obey its master.
(2) How dishonouring to God are the sins of those who profess to be His!
(3) The Lord will make due provision for His household.
(4) Those who have servants under them, should learn from this to be kind and just to them; for they and we are all fellow servants in the family of God.
Parallel VersesKJV: Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;