In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.…
1. In Christ only is our conscience able to plead its righteousness before God.
(1) We must therefore think on this inestimable benefit, that we whose consciences were wont to accuse us, may now have assurance through Christ.
(2) Commit thyself to Christ; let Him be thy guide to walk by as the Way, to be counselled by Him as the Truth, and quickened and strengthened by Him as thy Life; and never doubt but He will bring thee safely to God, and thou shalt never miscarry.
2. In Christ we may securely come into God's presence. Two things which breed confidence.
(1) Affinity of nature.
(2) Familiarity and acquaintance.
3. Wicked men are deceived who are persuaded of their security to Godward.
4. To have benefit by Christ we must believe on Him.
(1) A woeful case it is to live in unbelief.
(2) Faith is not a bare assent, but a confident embracing with the heart of the thing assented to.
(3) Faith only looks to Christ.
Parallel VersesKJV: In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.