But Jeshurun waxed fat, and kicked: you are waxen fat, you are grown thick, you are covered with fatness…
I. THAT EVERYONE IS UNDER THE MOST SOLEMN OBLIGATIONS TO LOVE AND OBEY GOD.
1. He is our Creator and absolute Proprietor.
2. He is the Author of our salvation.
II. THAT, NOTWITHSTANDING THESE OBLIGATIONS, MANY PERSONS FORSAKE GOD.
1. By mere forgetfulness.
2. By neglecting the ordinances of religion.
3. By inattention to relative duties.
III. THAT UNSANCTIFIED PROSPERITY IS VERY OFTEN THE CAUSE OF THESE EVILS. It is quite possible to be very prosperous, and very religious too — but, though possible, it is very difficult (Jeremiah 20:21).CONCLUSION —
1. One way of preventing these evils is to remember the uncertainty of earthly things.
2. Another way is to be earnest in prayer to God for His upholding grace.
(W. G. Barrett.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But Jeshurun waxed fat, and kicked: thou art waxen fat, thou art grown thick, thou art covered with fatness; then he forsook God which made him, and lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation.