Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:
I. SOME OF THOSE THINGS WE HAVE TO REMEMBER.
1. The pardon of sin.
2. The various providential mercies we have received during our lives.
3. The hope of a renewed life beyond the grave.
II. SOME OF THE ADVANTAGES ATTENDING THIS RECOLLECTION OF THE DIVINE GOODNESS.
1. It will convince us of the fact of God's providential care of us.
2. It will preserve us from undue despondency under the adverse providences of God.
3. It will help us to connect the thoughts of God with every detail of our common life.
III. A FEW DIRECTIONS FOR THE DISCHARGE OF THIS DUTY.
1. Take no step in life without a previous reference to the law of God.
2. Remember those seasons of life in which Divine providence appeared for you in a remarkable manner. All have such seasons: your first settlement in life — your going out into a situation — the choice of a trade or profession — the first definite step.
3. Remember that it will be utterly inexcusable hereafter if we pass through life without the recognition of God.
(W. G. Barrett.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: