Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
The characteristic of strong drink is deceitfulness,
1. A great quantity of precious food is destroyed that strong drink may be extracted from the rubbish.
2. The curative and strengthening properties of our strong drinks, which are so much vaunted, are in reality next to nothing.
3. Strong drink deceives the nation by the vast amount of revenue that it pours into the public treasury.
4. In as far as human friendship is, in any case, dependent on artificial stimulant for the degree of its fervency, it is a worthless counterfeit.
5. Its chief deception lies in the silent, stealthy advances which it makes upon the unsuspecting taster, followed, when the secret approaches have been carried to a certain point, by the sure spring and deathly grip of the raging lion.
(W. Arnot, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.