Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said to Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brothers…
I. THE QUESTING.
1. To this question they were led —
(1) by the Spirit;
(2) by the Truth;
(3) by their conscience — a view of sin leading to a consciousness of many.
2. This question indicates their —
3. This question was —
II. A SUITABLE AND SIGNIFICANT ANSWER.
1. Consider who gives the answer —
(3) speaking with authority.
2. The answer urges to —
(2) profession of Christ.
(3) yielding to the Spirit's control.
3. The answer rests —
(1) not on human wisdom,
(2) not on human goodness,
(3) not on human efforts,
(4) but on the promise of God (ver. 39), which is as wide as the world.
III. To a right reception comes A BLESSED CONSUMMATION.
1. In personal experience —
(3) singleness of heart (ver. 46).
2. Relatively —
(1) favours with God,
(2) and man (ver. 47).
(J. M. Allis.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?