New International Version
"Command the Israelites to send away from the camp anyone who has a defiling skin disease or a discharge of any kind, or who is ceremonially unclean because of a dead body.
King James Bible
Command the children of Israel, that they put out of the camp every leper, and every one that hath an issue, and whosoever is defiled by the dead:
Darby Bible Translation
Command the children of Israel, that they put out of the camp every leper, and every one that hath an issue, and whosoever is defiled by a dead person:
World English Bible
"Command the children of Israel that they put out of the camp every leper, and everyone who has an issue, and whoever is unclean by the dead.
Young's Literal Translation
'Command the sons of Israel, and they send out of the camp every leper, and every one with an issue, and every one defiled by a body;
Numbers 5:2 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
Put out of the camp every leper - According to the preceding plan, it is sufficiently evident that each camp had a space behind it, and on one side, whither the infected might be removed, and where probably convenient places were erected for the accommodation of the infected; for we cannot suppose that they were driven out into the naked wilderness. But the expulsion mentioned here was founded,
1. On a purely physical reason, viz., the diseases were contagious, and therefore there was a necessity of putting those afflicted by them apart, that the infection might not be communicated.
2. There was also a spiritual reason; the camp was the habitation of God, and nothing impure should be permitted to remain where he dwelt.
3. The camp was an emblem of the Church, where nothing that is defiled should enter, and in which nothing that is unholy should be tolerated. All lepers - all persevering impenitent sinners, should be driven from the sacred pale, nor should any such ever be permitted to enter.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
put out of the camp. The camp of Israel being now formed, with the sanctuary of God in the centre, orders were given that the lepers and unclean persons should be excluded from the camp, according to the laws given at different times on these subjects. This expulsion was founded,
1. On a purely physical reason; for the diseases were contagious, and therefore there was a necessity of putting those afflicted with them apart, that the infection might not be communicated.
2. There was also a spiritual reason; the camp was the habitation of God; and therefore, in honour of Him who had thus condescended to dwell with them, nothing impure should be permitted to remain.
3. Further, there was a typical reason; for the camp was the emblem of the church, where nothing that is defiled should enter, and in which nothing that is unholy should be tolerated.
LibraryMeditations against Despair, or Doubting of God's Mercy.
It is found by continual experience, that near the time of death, when the children of God are weakest, then Satan makes the greatest nourish of his strength, and assails them with his strongest temptations. For he knows that either he must now or never prevail; for if their souls once go to heaven, he shall never vex nor trouble them any more. And therefore he will now bestir himself as much as he can, and labour to set before their eyes all the gross sins which ever they committed, and the judgments …
Lewis Bayly—The Practice of Piety
The Work of Jesus Christ as an Advocate,
The priest is to examine that person, and if the rash has spread in the skin, he shall pronounce them unclean; it is a defiling skin disease.
As long as they have the disease they remain unclean. They must live alone; they must live outside the camp.
"The person to be cleansed must wash their clothes, shave off all their hair and bathe with water; then they will be ceremonially clean. After this they may come into the camp, but they must stay outside their tent for seven days.
"Speak to the Israelites and say to them: 'When any man has an unusual bodily discharge, such a discharge is unclean.
The LORD said to Moses, "Speak to the priests, the sons of Aaron, and say to them: 'A priest must not make himself ceremonially unclean for any of his people who die,
Those who do not deny themselves on that day must be cut off from their people.
The LORD said to Moses,
Jump to PreviousBody Camp Ceremonially Children Command Contact Dead Defiled Discharge Disease Flow Infectious Israel Israelites Issue Kind Leper Orders Outside Skin Sort Tent-Circle Touch Unclean Whosoever
Jump to NextBody Camp Ceremonially Children Command Contact Dead Defiled Discharge Disease Flow Infectious Israel Israelites Issue Kind Leper Orders Outside Skin Sort Tent-Circle Touch Unclean Whosoever
LinksNumbers 5:2 NIV
Numbers 5:2 NLT
Numbers 5:2 ESV
Numbers 5:2 NASB
Numbers 5:2 KJV
Numbers 5:2 Bible Apps
Numbers 5:2 Biblia Paralela
Numbers 5:2 Chinese Bible
Numbers 5:2 French Bible
Numbers 5:2 German Bible
Numbers 5:2 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.