New International Version
Each of these towns had pasturelands surrounding it; this was true for all these towns.
King James Bible
These cities were every one with their suburbs round about them: thus were all these cities.
Darby Bible Translation
Each one of these cities had its suburbs round about it: thus were all these cities.
World English Bible
Each of these cities included their suburbs around them. It was this way with all these cities.
Young's Literal Translation
These cities are each city and its suburbs round about it; so to all these cities.
Joshua 21:42 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
Forty and eight cities - At the last census of the Hebrew people, related Numbers 26, we find from Numbers 26:62 that the tribe of Levi amounted only to 23,000; and it is supposed that forty-eight cities were too great a proportion for this tribe, the other tribes having so very few. But,
1. All the cities of the other tribes are not enumerated.
2. They had the circumjacent country as well as the cities.
3. The Levites had no other cities than those enumerated.
4. They had no country annexed to their cities, the 2,000 cubits for their cattle, etc., excepted.
5. Cities in those ancient times were very small, as most villages went under this appellation.
6. The Levites had now the appointment that was suited to their consequent increase. The other tribes might enlarge their borders and make conquests, but this was not suitable to the mere servants of God; besides, had they made conquests, they would have become proprietors of the conquered land; and God determined that they should have no inheritance in Israel, He himself being their portion.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
LibraryOctober 8. "There Failed not Aught of any Good Thing which the Lord had Spoken" (Josh. xxi. 45).
"There failed not aught of any good thing which the Lord had spoken" (Josh. xxi. 45). Some day, even you, trembling, faltering one, shall stand upon those heights and look back upon all you have passed through, all you have narrowly escaped, all the perils through which He guided you, the stumblings through which He guarded you, and the sins from which He saved you; and you shall shout, with a meaning you cannot understand now, "Salvation unto Him who sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb." …
Rev. A. B. Simpson—Days of Heaven Upon Earth
The towns of the Levites in the territory held by the Israelites were forty-eight in all, together with their pasturelands.
So the LORD gave Israel all the land he had sworn to give their ancestors, and they took possession of it and settled there.
Jump to PreviousCities City Included Lands Open Pasture Pasturelands Round Suburbs Surrounding Towns True. Way
Jump to NextCities City Included Lands Open Pasture Pasturelands Round Suburbs Surrounding Towns True. Way
LinksJoshua 21:42 NIV
Joshua 21:42 NLT
Joshua 21:42 ESV
Joshua 21:42 NASB
Joshua 21:42 KJV
Joshua 21:42 Bible Apps
Joshua 21:42 Biblia Paralela
Joshua 21:42 Chinese Bible
Joshua 21:42 French Bible
Joshua 21:42 German Bible
Joshua 21:42 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.