New International Version
Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.
King James Bible
And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
Darby Bible Translation
And this is the eternal life, that they should know thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent.
World English Bible
This is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and him whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
Young's Literal Translation
and this is the life age-during, that they may know Thee, the only true God, and him whom Thou didst send -- Jesus Christ;
John 17:3 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
This is life eternal - The salvation purchased by Christ, and given to them who believe, is called life:
1. Because the life of man was forfeited to Divine justice; and the sacrifice of Christ redeemed him from that death to which he was exposed.
2. Because the souls of men were dead in trespasses and sins; and Christ quickens them by his word and Spirit.
3. Because men who are not saved by the grace of Christ do not live, they only exist, no good purpose of life being answered by them. But when they receive this salvation they live - answer all the Divine purposes, are happy in themselves, useful to each other, and bring glory to God.
4. It is called eternal life to show that it reaches beyond the limits of time, and that it necessarily implies -
1. The immortality of the soul;
2. the resurrection of the body; and
3. that it is never to end, hence called αιωνιος ζωη, a life ever living; from αει, always, and ων, being or existence. And indeed no words can more forcibly convey the idea of eternity than these. It is called ἡ αιωνιος ζωη, That eternal life, by way of eminence. There may be an eternal existence without blessedness; but this is that eternal life with which infinite happiness is inseparably connected.
The only true God - The way to attain this eternal life is to acknowledge, worship, and obey, the one only true God, and to accept as teacher, sacrifice, and Savior, the Lord Jesus, the one and only true Messiah. Bishop Pearce's remark here is well worthy the reader's attention: -
"What is said here of the only true God seems said in opposition to the gods whom the heathens worshipped; not in opposition to Jesus Christ himself, who is called the true God by John, in 1 John 5:20."
The words in this verse have been variously translated:
1. That they might acknowledge thee, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent, to be the only true God.
2. That they might acknowledge thee, the only true God, and Jesus, whom thou hast sent, to be the Christ or Messiah.
3. That they might acknowledge thee to be the only true God, and Jesus Christ to be him whom thou hast sent. And all these translations the original will bear.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
LibraryOctober 10 Evening
After this manner . . . pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven.--MATT. 6:9. Jesus lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father.--My Father, and your Father. Ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.--Ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God. Because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into …
Anonymous—Daily Light on the Daily Path
February 21 Morning
December 31. "I Pray not that Thou Shouldst Take them Out of the World, but that Thou Shouldst Keep them from the Evil" (John xvii. 15).
November 5. "I in Them, and Thou in Me" (John xvii. 23).
For those who find me find life and receive favor from the LORD.
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
How can you believe since you accept glory from one another but do not seek the glory that comes from the only God?
For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me.
As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world.
that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
I in them and you in me--so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
Jump to PreviousAge-During Ages Christ Consists Eternal Jesus Life True.
Jump to NextAge-During Ages Christ Consists Eternal Jesus Life True.
LinksJohn 17:3 NIV
John 17:3 NLT
John 17:3 ESV
John 17:3 NASB
John 17:3 KJV
John 17:3 Bible Apps
John 17:3 Biblia Paralela
John 17:3 Chinese Bible
John 17:3 French Bible
John 17:3 German Bible
John 17:3 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.