New American Standard Bible
Then he said to Him, "Which ones?" And Jesus said, "YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT MURDER; YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY; YOU SHALL NOT STEAL; YOU SHALL NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS;
King James Bible
He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
Darby Bible Translation
He says to him, Which? And Jesus said, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
World English Bible
He said to him, "Which ones?" Jesus said, "'You shall not murder.' 'You shall not commit adultery.' 'You shall not steal.' 'You shall not offer false testimony.'
Young's Literal Translation
He saith to him, 'What kind?' And Jesus said, 'Thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not commit adultery, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not bear false witness,
Matthew 19:18 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
He saith unto him, Which? - In reply to the inquiry of the young man, Jesus directed him to the sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth, and fifth Exodus 20:12-16, as containing the substance of the whole - as containing particularly what he intended to show him that he had not kept. See notes at Matthew 5:21, Matthew 5:27.
Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder - See the notes at Matthew 5:21-26.
Thou shalt not commit adultery - See the notes at Matthew 5:27-32.
Thou shalt not steal - To steal is to take the property of another without his knowledge or consent.
Thou shalt not bear false witness - Give testimony contrary to truth. This may be done in a court of justice, or by private or public slander. It means to say things of another which are not true.
Honour thy father ... - That is,
2. Respect them, show them reverence.
3. Treat their opinions with respect - do not despise them or ridicule them.
4. Treat their habits with respect. Those habits may be different from ours; they may be antiquated, and to us strange, odd, or whimsical; but they are the habits of a parent, and they are not to be ridiculed.
5. Provide for them when sick, weary, old, and infirm. Bear with their weakness, comply with their wishes, speak to them kindly, and deny yourselves of rest, and sleep, and ease, to promote their welfare.
1. any person who lives near to us.
2. any person with whom we have dealings.
LibraryOn the Words of the Gospel, Matt. xix. 21,"Go, Sell that Thou Hast, and Give to the Poor," Etc.
1. The Gospel by the present lesson has reminded me to speak to you, Beloved, of the heavenly treasure. For our God hath not, as unbelieving covetous men suppose, wished us to lose what we have: if what hath been enjoined us be properly understood, and piously believed, and devoutly received; He hath not enjoined us to lose, but rather shown a place where we may lay up. For no man can help thinking of his treasure, and following his riches in a kind of journeying of the heart. If then they are buried …
Saint Augustine—sermons on selected lessons of the new testament
Love Thy Neighbour
On the Words of the Gospel, "When Jesus had Finished These Sayings," Etc. --S. Matt. xix. 1
Eligius, Bishop of Noyon.
"You shall not murder.
"You shall not commit adultery.
"You shall not steal.
"You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
'You shall not murder.
'You shall not commit adultery.
'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
Jump to PreviousAdultery Bear Commandments Commit Death Evidence Inquired Jesus Kill Lie Married Murder Offer Ones Steal Testimony Untrue Witness
Jump to NextAdultery Bear Commandments Commit Death Evidence Inquired Jesus Kill Lie Married Murder Offer Ones Steal Testimony Untrue Witness
LinksMatthew 19:18 NIV
Matthew 19:18 NLT
Matthew 19:18 ESV
Matthew 19:18 NASB
Matthew 19:18 KJV
Matthew 19:18 Bible Apps
Matthew 19:18 Biblia Paralela
Matthew 19:18 Chinese Bible
Matthew 19:18 French Bible
Matthew 19:18 German Bible
Matthew 19:18 Commentaries