New American Standard Bible
"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, just as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you would not have it!
King James Bible
O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!
Darby Bible Translation
Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those that are sent unto her, how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen her brood under her wings, and ye would not.
World English Bible
"Jerusalem, Jerusalem, that kills the prophets, and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, like a hen gathers her own brood under her wings, and you refused!
Young's Literal Translation
'Jerusalem, Jerusalem, that is killing the prophets, and stoning those sent unto her, how often did I will to gather together thy children, as a hen her brood under the wings, and ye did not will.
Luke 13:34 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
See the notes at Matthew 23:37-39.
From the message which Jesus sent to Herod we may learn:
1. That our lives are safe in the hands of God, and that wicked people can do no more to injure us than he shall permit. Compare John 19:11.
2. That we "should" go on fearlessly in doing our duty, and especially if we are doing good. We should not regard the threats of people. God is to be obeyed; and even if obedience should involve us in difficulty and trials, still we should not hesitate to commit our cause to God and go forward.
3. We should be on our guard against crafty and unprincipled people. They often "profess" to seek our good when they are only plotting our ruin. Even those professedly coming from our enemies to caution us are often also our enemies, and are secretly plotting our ruin or endeavoring to prevent our doing good.
4. We see here the nature of religion. It shrinks at nothing which is duty. It goes forward trusting in God. It comes out boldly and faces the world. And,
5. How beautiful and consistent is the example of Christ! How "wise" was he to detect the arts of his foes! how "fearless" in going forward, in spite of all their machinations, to do what God had appointed for him to do!
LibraryThe Strait Gate
'And He went through the cities and villages, teaching, and journeying toward Jerusalem. 23. Then said one unto Him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And He said unto them, 24. Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not he able. 25. When once the Master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and He shall answer and say unto you, I know …
Alexander Maclaren—Expositions Of Holy Scripture
On the Words of the Gospel, Luke xiii. 6, Where we are Told of the Fig-Tree, which Bare no Fruit for Three Years; and of The
The Early Ministry in Judea
The Barren Fig-Tree.
"Therefore thus says the LORD, the God of hosts, the God of Israel, 'Behold, I am bringing on Judah and on all the inhabitants of Jerusalem all the disaster that I have pronounced against them; because I spoke to them but they did not listen, and I have called them but they did not answer.'"
"Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling.
When He approached Jerusalem, He saw the city and wept over it,
Jump to PreviousBrood Chicks Children Death Gather Gathered Gathereth Gathers Hen Jerusalem Kill Killest Killeth Killing Kills Often Prophets Putting Refused Stone Stones Stonest Stoneth Stoning Together Wanted Willing Wings
Jump to NextBrood Chicks Children Death Gather Gathered Gathereth Gathers Hen Jerusalem Kill Killest Killeth Killing Kills Often Prophets Putting Refused Stone Stones Stonest Stoneth Stoning Together Wanted Willing Wings
LinksLuke 13:34 NIV
Luke 13:34 NLT
Luke 13:34 ESV
Luke 13:34 NASB
Luke 13:34 KJV
Luke 13:34 Bible Apps
Luke 13:34 Biblia Paralela
Luke 13:34 Chinese Bible
Luke 13:34 French Bible
Luke 13:34 German Bible
Luke 13:34 Commentaries