New American Standard Bible
"But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?"
King James Bible
But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?
Darby Bible Translation
But if ye do not believe his writings, how shall ye believe my words?
World English Bible
But if you don't believe his writings, how will you believe my words?"
Young's Literal Translation
but if his writings ye believe not, how shall ye believe my sayings?'
John 5:47 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
If ye believe not his writings - If you do not credit what he has written which you profess to believe, it is not to be expected that you will believe my declarations. And from this we may learn:
1. That many men who profess to believe the Bible have really no regard for it when it crosses their own views and inclinations.
2. It is our duty to study the Bible, that we may be established in the belief that Jesus is the Messiah.
3. The prophecies of the Old Testament are conclusive proofs of the truth of the Christian religion.
4. He that rejects one part of the Bible, will, for the same reason, reject all.
5. The Saviour acknowledged the truth of the writings of Moses, built his religion upon them, appealed to them to prove that he was the Messiah, and commanded men to search them. We have the testimony of Jesus, therefore, that the Old Testament is a revelation from God. He that rejects his testimony on This subject must reject his authority altogether; and it is vain for any man to profess to believe in the New Testament, or in the Lord Jesus, without also acknowledging the authority of the Old Testament and of Moses.
We have in this chapter an instance of the profound and masterly manner in which Jesus could meet and silence his enemies. There is not anywhere a more conclusive argument, or a more triumphant meeting of the charges which they had brought against him. No one can read this without being struck with his profound wisdom; and it is scarcely possible to conceive that there could be a more distinct declaration and proof that he was equal with God.
LibraryJuly 2 Evening
[Jesus] prayed the third time, saying the same words.--MATT. 26:44. Who in the days of his flesh . . . offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death. Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the Lord.--Continuing instant in prayer.--Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication.--By prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known …
Anonymous—Daily Light on the Daily Path
February 27 Morning
July the Twenty-Seventh the Work of Faith
September the Twenty-Ninth the Fountain
"But Abraham said, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them.'
"But he said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.'"
2 Timothy 3:15
and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
Jump to PreviousBelief Believe Disbelieve Sayings Words Writings Wrote
Jump to NextBelief Believe Disbelieve Sayings Words Writings Wrote
LinksJohn 5:47 NIV
John 5:47 NLT
John 5:47 ESV
John 5:47 NASB
John 5:47 KJV
John 5:47 Bible Apps
John 5:47 Biblia Paralela
John 5:47 Chinese Bible
John 5:47 French Bible
John 5:47 German Bible
John 5:47 Commentaries