New American Standard Bible
But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name,
King James Bible
But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Darby Bible Translation
but as many as received him, to them gave he the right to be children of God, to those that believe on his name;
World English Bible
But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God's children, to those who believe in his name:
Young's Literal Translation
but as many as did receive him to them he gave authority to become sons of God -- to those believing in his name,
John 1:12 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
To as many as received him - The great mass; the people; the scribes and Pharisees rejected him. A few in his lifetime received him, and many more after his death. "To receive him," here, means to "believe" on him. This is expressed at the end of the verse.
Gave he power - This is more appropriately rendered in the margin by the word "right" or "privilege." Compare Acts 1:7; Acts 5:4; Romans 9:21; 1 Corinthians 7:37; 1 Corinthians 8:9; 1 Corinthians 9:4-5.
Sons of God - Children of God by adoption. See the notes at Matthew 1:1. Christians are called sons of God:
1. Because they are "adopted" by Him, 1 John 3:1.
2. Because they are "like Him;" they resemble Him and have His spirit.
3. They are united to the Lord Jesus, the Son of God, are regarded by Him as his brethren Matthew 25:40, and are therefore regarded as the children of the Most High.
1. That to be a child of God is a privilege - far more so than to be the child of any human being, though in the highest degree rich, or learned, or honored. Christians are therefore more honored than any other persons.
3. This favor is given only to those who believe on him. All others are the children of the wicked one, and no one who has not "confidence in God" can be regarded as his child. No parent would acknowledge one for his child, or approve of him, who had no confidence in him, who doubted or denied all he said, and who despised his character. Yet the sinner constantly does this toward God, and he cannot, therefore, be called his Son.
LibraryJanuary 20 Morning
His name shall be called Wonderful.--ISA. 9:6. The Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father) full of grace and truth.--Thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name. They shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.--JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. All men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father.--God . . . hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is …
Anonymous—Daily Light on the Daily Path
March 12 Morning
October 11 Evening
February 26 Morning
Yet the number of the sons of Israel Will be like the sand of the sea, Which cannot be measured or numbered; And in the place Where it is said to them, "You are not My people," It will be said to them, "You are the sons of the living God."
He came as a witness, to testify about the Light, so that all might believe through him.
He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him.
"He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
and not for the nation only, but in order that He might also gather together into one the children of God who are scattered abroad.
For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God,
Jump to PreviousAuthority Believe Believed Believing Children Faith God's However Power Privilege Receive Received Right Trust
Jump to NextAuthority Believe Believed Believing Children Faith God's However Power Privilege Receive Received Right Trust
LinksJohn 1:12 NIV
John 1:12 NLT
John 1:12 ESV
John 1:12 NASB
John 1:12 KJV
John 1:12 Bible Apps
John 1:12 Biblia Paralela
John 1:12 Chinese Bible
John 1:12 French Bible
John 1:12 German Bible
John 1:12 Commentaries