New American Standard Bible
For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His.
King James Bible
For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
Darby Bible Translation
For he that has entered into his rest, he also has rested from his works, as God did from his own.
World English Bible
For he who has entered into his rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from his.
Young's Literal Translation
for he who did enter into his rest, he also rested from his works, as God from His own.
Hebrews 4:10 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
For he that is entered into rest - That is, the man who is so happy as to reach heaven, will enjoy a rest similar to what God had when he finished the work of creation. It will be:
(1) a cessation from toil; and,
(2) it will be a rest similar to that of God - the same kind of enjoyment, the same freedom from care, anxiety, and labor.
How happy then are they who have entered into heaven! Their toils are over. Their labors are done. Never again will they know fatigue. Never more will they feel anxious care. Let us learn then:
(1) not to mourn improperly for those who have left us and gone to heaven. Happy in the rest of God, why should not we rejoice? Why wish them back again in a world of toil!
(2) let us in our toils look forward to the world of rest. Our labors will all be over. The weary man will lay down his burden; the exhausted frame will know fatigue no more. Rest is sweet at night after the toils of day; how much more sweet will it be in heaven after the toils of life! Let us.
(3) labor while is is called today. Soon we shall cease from our work. All that we have to do is to be done soon. We shall soon cease from "our" work as God did from his. What we have to do for the salvation of children, brothers, sisters, friends, and for the world, is to be done soon. From the abodes of bliss we shall not be sent forth to speak to our kindred of the blessedness of that world, or to admonish our friends to escape from the place of despair. The pastor will not come again to warn and invite his people; the parent will not come again to tell his children of the Saviour and of heaven; the neighbor will not come to admonish his neighbor; compare Luke 16:24-29. We shall all have ceased from our work as God did from his; and never again shall we speak to a living friend to invite him to heaven.
LibraryApril 23. "An High Priest Touched with the Feeling of Our Infirmities" (Heb. Iv. 15).
"An high priest touched with the feeling of our infirmities" (Heb. iv. 15). Some time ago we were talking with a greatly suffering sister about healing, who was much burdened physically and desirous of being able to trust the Lord for deliverance. After a little conversation we prayed with her, committing her case to the Lord for absolute trust and deliverance as she was prepared to claim. As soon as we closed our prayer she grasped our hand, and asked us to unite with her in the burden that was …
Rev. A. B. Simpson—Days of Heaven Upon Earth
The Power of God's Word to Convict Men of Sin.
The Great High-Priest.
By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.
For He has said somewhere concerning the seventh day: "AND GOD RESTED ON THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL HIS WORKS";
So there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God.
And there was given to each of them a white robe; and they were told that they should rest for a little while longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brethren who were to be killed even as they had been, would be completed also.
And I heard a voice from heaven, saying, "Write, 'Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on!'" "Yes," says the Spirit, "so that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow with them."
Jump to PreviousAdmitted Ceased Ceases Enter Entered Enters God's Labors Rest Rested Rests Work Works
Jump to NextAdmitted Ceased Ceases Enter Entered Enters God's Labors Rest Rested Rests Work Works
LinksHebrews 4:10 NIV
Hebrews 4:10 NLT
Hebrews 4:10 ESV
Hebrews 4:10 NASB
Hebrews 4:10 KJV
Hebrews 4:10 Bible Apps
Hebrews 4:10 Biblia Paralela
Hebrews 4:10 Chinese Bible
Hebrews 4:10 French Bible
Hebrews 4:10 German Bible
Hebrews 4:10 Commentaries