New American Standard Bible
"This Jesus God raised up again, to which we are all witnesses.
King James Bible
This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
Darby Bible Translation
This Jesus has God raised up, whereof all we are witnesses.
World English Bible
This Jesus God raised up, to which we all are witnesses.
Young's Literal Translation
'This Jesus did God raise up, of which we are all witnesses;
Acts 2:32 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
This Jesus - Peter, having shown that it was predicted that the Messiah would rise, now affirms that such a resurrection occurred in the case of Jesus. If it was a matter of prophecy, all objection to the truth of the doctrine was taken away, and the only question was whether there was evidence that this had been done. The proof of this Peter now alleges, and offers his own testimony, and that of his brethren, to the truth of this great and glorious fact.
We are all witnesses - It seems probable that Peter refers here to the whole 120 who were present, and who were ready to attest it in any manner. The matter which was to be proved was that Jesus was seen alive after he had been put to death. The apostles were appointed to bear witness of this. We are told by Paul 1 Corinthians 15:6 that he was seen by more than five hundred brethren, that is, Christians, at one time. The 120 assembled on this occasion were doubtless part of the number, and were ready to attest this. This was the proof that Peter alleged; and the strength of this proof was, and should have been, perfectly irresistible:
(1) They had seen him themselves. They did not conjecture it or reason about it; but they had the evidence on which people act every day, and which must be regarded as satisfactory the evidence of their own senses.
(2) the number was such they could not be imposed on. If 120 persons could not prove a plain matter of fact, nothing could be established by testimony; there could be no way of arriving at any facts.
(3) the thing to be established was a plain matter. It was not that they "saw him rise." That they never pretended: Impostors would have done this. But it was that they saw him, talked, walked, ate, drank with him, being alive, after, he had been crucified. The fact of his death was matter of Jewish record, and no one called it in question. The only fact for Christianity to make out was that he was seen alive afterward, and this was attested by many witnesses.
(4) they had no interest in deceiving the world in this thing. There was no prospect of pleasure, wealth, or honor in doing it.
(5) they offered themselves now as ready to endure any sufferings, or to die, in attestation of the truth of this event.
LibraryMarch 4. "They were all Filled with the Holy Ghost" (Acts ii. 4).
"They were all filled with the Holy Ghost" (Acts ii. 4). Blessed secret of spiritual purity, victory and joy, of physical life and healing, and all power for service. Filled with the Spirit there is no room for self or sin, for fret or care. Filled with the Spirit we repel the elements of disease that are in the air as the red-hot iron repels the water that touches it. Filled with the Spirit we are always ready for service, and Satan turns away when he finds the Holy Ghost enrobing us in His garments …
Rev. A. B. Simpson—Days of Heaven Upon Earth
The Means of Grace
Pricked in their Heart
"You are witnesses of these things.
but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."
beginning with the baptism of John until the day that He was taken up from us-- one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection."
"But God raised Him up again, putting an end to the agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to be held in its power.
but put to death the Prince of life, the one whom God raised from the dead, a fact to which we are witnesses.
"For you first, God raised up His Servant and sent Him to bless you by turning every one of you from your wicked ways."
let it be known to all of you and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead-- by this name this man stands here before you in good health.
Jump to PreviousFact Jesus Life Raise Raised Testify Whereof Witnesses
Jump to NextFact Jesus Life Raise Raised Testify Whereof Witnesses
LinksActs 2:32 NIV
Acts 2:32 NLT
Acts 2:32 ESV
Acts 2:32 NASB
Acts 2:32 KJV
Acts 2:32 Bible Apps
Acts 2:32 Biblia Paralela
Acts 2:32 Chinese Bible
Acts 2:32 French Bible
Acts 2:32 German Bible
Acts 2:32 Commentaries