New American Standard Bible
No wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.
King James Bible
And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
Darby Bible Translation
And it is not wonderful, for Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light.
World English Bible
And no wonder, for even Satan masquerades as an angel of light.
Young's Literal Translation
and no wonder -- for even the Adversary doth transform himself into a messenger of light;
2 Corinthians 11:14 Parallel
CommentaryBarnes' Notes on the Bible
And no marvel - And it is not wonderful, 2 Corinthians 11:15. Since Satan himself is capable of appearing to be an angel of light, it is not to be deemed strange that those who are in his service also should resemble him.
For Satan himself is transformed ... - That is, he who is an apostate angel; who is malignant and wicked; who is the prince of evil, assumes the appearance of a holy angel. Paul assumes this as an indisputable and admitted truth, without attempting to prove it, and without referring to any particular instances. Probably he had in his eye cases where Satan put on false and delusive appearances for the purpose of deceiving, or where he assumed the appearance of great sanctity and reverence for the authority of God. Such instances occurred in the temptation of our first parents Genesis 3:1-6, and in the temptation of the Saviour, Matthew 4. The phrase "an angel of light," means a pure and holy angel, light being the emblem of purity and holiness. Such are all the angels that dwell in heaven; and the idea is, that Satan assumes such a form as to appear to be such an angel. Learn here:
(1) His power. He can assume such an aspect as he pleases. He can dissemble and appear to be eminently pious. He is the prince of duplicity as well as of wickedness; and it is the consummation of bad power for an individual to be able to assume any character which he pleases.
(2) his art. he is long practiced in deceitful arts. For six thousand years he has been practicing the art of delusion. And with him it is perfect.
(3) we are not to sup pose that all that appears to be piety is piety. Some of the most plausible appearances of piety are assumed by Satan and his ministers. None ever professed a profounder regard for the authority of God than Satan did when he tempted the Saviour. And if the prince of wickedness can appear to be an angel of light, we are not to be surprised if those who have the blackest hearts appear to be people of most eminent piety.
(4) we should be on our guard. We should not listen to suggestions merely because they appear to come from a pious man, nor because they seem to be prompted by a regard to the will of God. We may be always sure that, if we are to be tempted, it will be by some one having a great appearance of virtue and religion.
(5) we are not to expect that Satan will appear to man to be as bad as he is. He never shows himself openly to be a spirit of pure wickedness; or black and abominable in his character; or full of evil and hateful. He would thus defeat himself. It is for this reason that wicked people do not believe that there is such a being as Satan. Though continually under his influence and "led captive by him at his will," yet they neither see him nor the chains which lead them, nor are they willing to believe in the existence of the one or the other.
LibraryLetter ii (A. D. 1126) to the Monk Adam
To the Monk Adam  1. If you remain yet in that spirit of charity which I either knew or believed to be with you formerly, you would certainly feel the condemnation with which charity must regard the scandal which you have given to the weak. For charity would not offend charity, nor scorn when it feels itself offended. For it cannot deny itself, nor be divided against itself. Its function is rather to draw together things divided; and it is far from dividing those that are joined. Now, if that …
Saint Bernard of Clairvaux—Some Letters of Saint Bernard, Abbot of Clairvaux
Of this Weakness of His, He Saith in Another Place...
That the Ruler Should be a Near Neighbour to Every one in Compassion, and Exalted Above all in Contemplation.
Laboring under Difficulties
Then Jesus said to him, "Go, Satan! For it is written, 'YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD, AND SERVE HIM ONLY.'"
But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed!
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light.
For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son,
Jump to PreviousAble Adversary Angel Disguise Disguises Fashioneth Form Light Marvel Master Messenger Satan Transform Transformed Wonder Wonderful
Jump to NextAble Adversary Angel Disguise Disguises Fashioneth Form Light Marvel Master Messenger Satan Transform Transformed Wonder Wonderful
Links2 Corinthians 11:14 NIV
2 Corinthians 11:14 NLT
2 Corinthians 11:14 ESV
2 Corinthians 11:14 NASB
2 Corinthians 11:14 KJV
2 Corinthians 11:14 Bible Apps
2 Corinthians 11:14 Biblia Paralela
2 Corinthians 11:14 Chinese Bible
2 Corinthians 11:14 French Bible
2 Corinthians 11:14 German Bible
2 Corinthians 11:14 Commentaries