Gaebelein's Annotated Bible
Now these are the generations of Esau, who is Edom.X. THE GENERATIONS OF ESAU
1. Esau in Canaan, his wives and sons (Genesis 36:1-5)
2. Esau leaving Canaan and in Edom (Genesis 36:6-8)
XI. THE GENERATIONS OF ESAU IN MOUNT SEIR
1. Sons of Esau (Genesis 36:9-10)
2. Sons of Eliphaz (Genesis 36:11-12)
3. Sons of Reuel (Genesis 36:13)
4. Sons of Aholibamah (Genesis 36:14)
5. Dukes of Eliphaz (Genesis 36:15-16)
6. Dukes of Reuel (Genesis 36:17)
7. Dukes of Jeush (Genesis 36:18)
8. Dukes of Horite and kings of Edom (Genesis 36:20-43)
We point out a few interesting facts in these two generations of Esau and Esau’s sons. In Genesis 36:6 we read that Esau went into the country from the face of his brother Jacob. It came at last to a pronounced and complete separation between Esau and Jacob. Jacob dwelt in the land in which his father was a stranger. And Edom became the treacherous foe to the people of Israel. Read Obadiah, Obadiah 1:8-16. From the concubine of Eliphaz was born Amalek, one of the terrible enemies of Israel with whom there was to be a continual warfare (Exodus 17:8-14).
And what a prolific progeny of the wicked Esau! The Hebrew names tell the story of their expansion, their wickedness and power. What was not of God developed rapidly, as it does now, in the earth.