In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
I. THE MAKER OF THE WORLD, God. The great I AM. The First Cause.
II. THE MAKING OF THE WORLD.
1. By God's Word.
2. By God's Spirit.
III. THE MEANING OF THE WORLD. God created the world —
1. For His own pleasure and glory (Revelation 4:11).
2. For the happiness of all His creatures (Psalm 104).
1. Faith in God, as the Almighty, the All-wise Creator.
2. Reverence for God, as wonderful in all His doings.
3. Gratitude to God, as providing for the wants of His creatures.
(W. S. Smith, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.