When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them.…
I. A GOOD COUNSEL.
1. Of humility before God, the Supreme Judge.
2. Of charitableness toward our neighbour who thinks differently, and perhaps erroneously.
3. Of watchfulness over our passions.
II. A BAD COUNSEL.
1. Of a policy judging only according to outward success.
2. Of a toleration toward that which is evil.
3. Of an indifferentism undecided in itself. Conclusion: Better the deed of the apostles than the counsel of Gamaliel.
Parallel VersesKJV: When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them.