New International Version
Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers,
King James Bible
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
Darby Bible Translation
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the wicked, and standeth not in the way of sinners, and sitteth not in the seat of scorners;
World English Bible
Blessed is the man who doesn't walk in the counsel of the wicked, nor stand in the way of sinners, nor sit in the seat of scoffers;
Young's Literal Translation
O the happiness of that one, who Hath not walked in the counsel of the wicked. And in the way of sinners hath not stood, And in the seat of scorners hath not sat;
Psalm 1:1 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
Blessed is the man - This Psalm has no title, and has been generally considered, but without especial reason, as a preface or introduction to the whole book.
The word אשרי ashrey, which we translate blessed, is properly in the plural form, blessednesses, or may be considered as an exclamation produced by contemplating the state of the man who has taken God for his portion; O the blessedness of the man! And the word האיש haish, is emphatic: That man; that one among a thousand who lives for the accomplishment of the end for which God created him.
1. God made man for happiness.
2. Every man feels a desire to be happy.
3. All human beings abhor misery.
4. Happiness is the grand object of pursuit among all men.
5. But so perverted is the human heart, that it seeks happiness where it cannot be found; and in things which are naturally and morally unfit to communicate it.
6. The true way of obtaining it is here laid down.
That walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly - There is a double Climax in this verse, which it will be proper to note: -
There are here three characters, each exceeding the other in sinfulness.
1. The Ungodly, רשעים reshaim from רשע rasha, to be unjust; rendering to none his due; withholding from God, society, and himself, what belongs to each. Ungodly - he who has not God in him; who is without God in the world.
2. Sinners, חטאים chattaim, from חטא chata, "to miss the mark," "to pass over the prohibited limits," "to transgress." This man not only does no good, but he does evil. The former was without God, but not desperately wicked. The latter adds outward transgression to the sinfulness of his heart.
3. Scornful, לצים letsim, from לצה latsah, "to mock, deride." He who has no religion; lives in the open breach of God's laws, and turns revelation, the immortality of the soul, and the existence of an invisible world into ridicule. He is at least a deist, and endeavours to dissolve, as Much as he can, the bonds of moral obligation in civil society. As the sinner exceeds the ungodly, so the scornful exceeds both.
The second climax is found in the words,
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
The happiness of the godly
The unhappiness of the ungodly
ungodly. or, wicked
LibraryJanuary 4. "Blessed is the Man that Walketh Not" (Ps. I. 1).
"Blessed is the man that walketh not" (Ps. i. 1). Three things are notable about this man: 1. His company. "He walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful." 2. His reading and thinking. "His delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law doth he meditate day and night." 3. His fruitfulness. "And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither, …
Rev. A. B. Simpson—Days of Heaven Upon Earth
In common with the Roman Church, the Greek Church has seven Sacraments.
Epistle xvi. From Felix Bishop of Messana to St. Gregory.
The History of the Psalter
Blessed are you, Israel! Who is like you, a people saved by the LORD? He is your shield and helper and your glorious sword. Your enemies will cower before you, and you will tread on their heights."
Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
Not a word from their mouth can be trusted; their heart is filled with malice. Their throat is an open grave; with their tongues they tell lies.
Declare them guilty, O God! Let their intrigues be their downfall. Banish them for their many sins, for they have rebelled against you.
In his arrogance the wicked man hunts down the weak, who are caught in the schemes he devises.
Though people tried to bribe me, I have kept myself from the ways of the violent through what your lips have commanded.
I do not sit with the deceitful, nor do I associate with hypocrites.
Jump to PreviousBlessed Company Counsel Evil-Doers Happiness Happy Honour Path Sat Scoffers Scorners Scornful Seat Sinners Sit Sits Sitteth Stand Standeth Stood Ungodly Walk Walked Walketh Walks Way Wicked
Jump to NextBlessed Company Counsel Evil-Doers Happiness Happy Honour Path Sat Scoffers Scorners Scornful Seat Sinners Sit Sits Sitteth Stand Standeth Stood Ungodly Walk Walked Walketh Walks Way Wicked
LinksPsalm 1:1 NIV
Psalm 1:1 NLT
Psalm 1:1 ESV
Psalm 1:1 NASB
Psalm 1:1 KJV
Psalm 1:1 Bible Apps
Psalm 1:1 Biblia Paralela
Psalm 1:1 Chinese Bible
Psalm 1:1 French Bible
Psalm 1:1 German Bible
Psalm 1:1 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.