'The reign of the heavens was likened to a man, a king, who made marriage-feasts for his son,
Matthew 22:2 Additional TranslationsClarke's Commentary on the Bible
The kingdom of heaven - In Bereshith Rabba, sect. 62. fol. 60, there is a parable very similar to this, and another still more so in Sohar. Levit. fol. 40. But these rabbinical parables are vastly ennobled by passing through the hands of our Lord. It appears from Luke, Luke 14:15; etc., that it was at an entertainment that this parable was originally spoken. It was a constant practice of our Lord to take the subjects of his discourses from the persons present, or from the circumstances of times, persons, and places. See Matthew 16:6; John 4:7-10; John 6:26, John 6:27; John 7:37. A preacher that can do so can never be at a loss for text or sermon.
A marriage for his son - A marriage feast, so the word γαμους properly means. Or a feast of inauguration, when his son was put in possession of the government, and thus he and his new subjects became married together. See 1 Kings 1:5-9, 1 Kings 1:19, 1 Kings 1:25, etc., where such a feast is mentioned.
From this parable it appears plain,
1. That the King means the great God.
2. His Son, the Lord Jesus.
3. The Marriage, his incarnation, or espousing human nature, by taking it into union with himself.
4. The Marriage Feast, the economy of the Gospel, during which men are invited to partake of the blessings purchased by, and consequent on, the incarnation and death of our blessed Lord.
5. By those who Had Been bidden, or invited, Matthew 22:3, are meant the Jews in general, who had this union of Christ with human nature, and his sacrifice for sin, pointed out by various rites, ceremonies, and sacrifices under the law; and who, by all the prophets, had been constantly invited to believe in and receive the promised Messiah.
6. By the Servants, we are to understand the first preachers of the Gospel, proclaiming salvation to the Jews. John the Baptist and the seventy disciples (Luke 10:1), may be here particularly intended.
7. By the Other Servants, Matthew 22:4, the apostles seem to be meant, who, though they were to preach the Gospel to the whole world, yet were to begin at Jerusalem (Luke 24:47) with the first offers of mercy.
8. By their making light of it, etc., Matthew 22:5, is pointed out their neglect of this salvation, and their preferring secular enjoyments, etc., to the kingdom of Christ.
9. By injuriously using some, and slaying others, of his servants, Matthew 22:6, is pointed out the persecution raised against the apostles by the Jews, in which some of them were martyred.
10. By sending forth his troops, Matthew 22:7, is meant the commission given to the Romans against Judea; and, burning up their city, the total destruction of Jerusalem by Titus, the son of Vespasian, which happened about forty-one years after.
On this parable it is necessary to remark,
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
Matthew 13:24,31-33,44-47 Another parable put he forth to them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened to a man which sowed good seed in his field...
Matthew 25:1,14 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened to ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom...
Matthew 25:1-13 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened to ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom...
Psalm 45:10-16 Listen, O daughter, and consider, and incline your ear; forget also your own people, and your father's house...
John 3:29 He that has the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which stands and hears him...
2 Corinthians 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband...
Ephesians 5:24-32 Therefore as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing...
Revelation 19:7-9 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honor to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife has made herself ready...
Matthew 22:2 Parallel CommentariesBanquet Celebrated Compared Feast Heaven Heavens Kingdom Likened Marriage Marriage-Feasts Married Prepared Reign WeddingBanquet Celebrated Compared Feast Heaven Heavens Kingdom Likened Marriage Marriage-Feasts Married Prepared Reign WeddingTHE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.
Matthew 22:2 Mobile Bible
Matthew 22:2 Bible Suite
Matthew 22:2 Biblia Paralela
Matthew 22:2 Chinese Bible