New International Version
They trample on the heads of the poor as on the dust of the ground and deny justice to the oppressed. Father and son use the same girl and so profane my holy name.
King James Bible
That pant after the dust of the earth on the head of the poor, and turn aside the way of the meek: and a man and his father will go in unto the same maid, to profane my holy name:
Darby Bible Translation
panting after the dust of the earth on the head of the poor, and turning aside the way of the meek; and a man and his father will go in unto the [same] maid, to profane my holy name.
World English Bible
They trample on the dust of the earth on the head of the poor, and deny justice to the oppressed; and a man and his father use the same maiden, to profane my holy name;
Young's Literal Translation
Who are panting for the dust of the earth on the head of the poor, And the way of the humble they turn aside, And a man and his father go unto the damsel, So as to pollute My holy name.
Amos 2:7 Parallel
CommentaryClarke's Commentary on the Bible
For three transgressions of Israel, etc. - To be satisfied of the exceeding delinquency of this people, we have only to open the historical and prophetic books in any part; for the whole history of the Israelites is one tissue of transgression against God. Their crimes are enumerated under the following heads: -
1. Their judges were mercenary and corrupt. They took bribes to condemn the righteous; and even for articles of clothing, such as a pair of shoes, they condemned the poor man, and delivered him into the hands of his adversary.
2. They were unmerciful to the poor generally. They pant after the dust of the earth on the head of the poor; or, to put it on the head of the poor; or, they bruise the head of the poor against the dust of the earth. Howsoever the clause is understood, it shows them to have been general oppressors of the poor, showing them neither justice nor mercy.
3. They turn aside the way of the meek. They are peculiarly oppressive to the weak and afflicted.
4. They were licentious to the uttermost abomination; for in their idol feasts, where young women prostituted themselves publicly in honor of Astarte, the father and son entered into impure connections with the same female.
5. They were cruel in their oppressions of the poor; for the garments or beds which the poor had pledged they retained contrary to the law, Exodus 22:7-26, which required that such things should be restored before the setting of the sun.
6. They punished the people by unjust and oppressive fines, and served their tables with wine bought by such fines. Or it may be understood of their appropriating to themselves that wine which was allowed to criminals to mitigate their sufferings in the article of death; which was the excess of inhumanity and cruelty.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
maid. or, young woman. to profane.
LibraryRipe for Gathering
'Thus hath the Lord God shewed unto me: and behold a basket of summer fruit. 2. And He said, Amos, what seest thou? And I said, A basket of summer fruit. Then said the Lord unto me, The end is come upon My people of Israel; I will not again pass by them any more. 3. And the songs of the temple shall be howlings in that day, saith the Lord God: there shall be many dead bodies in every place; they shall cast them forth with silence. 4. Hear this, O ye that swallow up the needy, even to make the poor …
Alexander Maclaren—Expositions of Holy Scripture
To his Praise!
"I will not punish your daughters when they turn to prostitution, nor your daughters-in-law when they commit adultery, because the men themselves consort with harlots and sacrifice with shrine prostitutes-- a people without understanding will come to ruin!
For I know how many are your offenses and how great your sins. There are those who oppress the innocent and take bribes and deprive the poor of justice in the courts.
Hear this, you who trample the needy and do away with the poor of the land,
They covet fields and seize them, and houses, and take them. They defraud people of their homes, they rob them of their inheritance.
You drive the women of my people from their pleasant homes. You take away my blessing from their children forever.
Jump to PreviousAfflicted Crushing Deny Dust Earth Gentle Girl Head Heads Helpless Holy Humble Justice Maid Maiden Meek Oppressed Pant Poor Profane Profaned Putting Steps Trample Turn Turning Use Way Young
Jump to NextAfflicted Crushing Deny Dust Earth Gentle Girl Head Heads Helpless Holy Humble Justice Maid Maiden Meek Oppressed Pant Poor Profane Profaned Putting Steps Trample Turn Turning Use Way Young
LinksAmos 2:7 NIV
Amos 2:7 NLT
Amos 2:7 ESV
Amos 2:7 NASB
Amos 2:7 KJV
Amos 2:7 Bible Apps
Amos 2:7 Biblia Paralela
Amos 2:7 Chinese Bible
Amos 2:7 French Bible
Amos 2:7 German Bible
Amos 2:7 Commentaries
THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.