And the rest of the matters of Solomon, the first and the last, are they not written beside the matters of Nathan the prophet, and beside the prophecy of Ahijah the Shilonite, and with the visions of Iddo the seer concerning Jeroboam son of Nebat?
2 Chronicles 9:29 Additional TranslationsClarke's Commentary on the Bible
Nathan the prophet - These books are all lost. See the account of Solomon, his character, and a review of his works, at the end of 1 Kings 11:43 (note).
I. By the kindness of a learned friend, who has made this kind of subjects his particular study, I am able to give a more correct view of the value of the talent of gold and the talent of silver than that which I have quoted 1 Kings 10:17, from Mr. Reynold's State of the Greatest King.
1. To find the equivalent in British standard to an ounce troy of pure gold, valued at eighty shillings, and to a talent of the same which weighs one thousand eight hundred ounces troy.
The ounce contains four hundred and eighty grains, and the guinea weighs one hundred and twenty-nine grains, or five pennyweights and nine grains.
(1) As 129 grains: 21 shillings:: 480, the number of grains in an ounce: 78.1395348s. or 3l. 18s. 1d. 2.69767q.; the equivalent in our silver coin to one ounce of standard gold.
(2) As 78.1395348 shillings, the value of an ounce of standard gold,: 80 shillings, the value of an ounce troy of pure gold,:: 80 shillings: 81.9047619 shillings, the equivalent in British standard to one ounce of pure gold.
Instead of the preceding, the following proportions may be used: -
(1) As 21.5 shillings: 21 shillings:: 80 shillings: 78.1395348 shillings. This multiplied by 1800, the number of troy ounces in a Hebrew talent, gives 140651.16264s. or 7032l. 11s. 1d. 3.8q., the equivalent to one talent of standard gold.
(2) As 21 standard: 21.5 pure:: 80 pure: 81.9047619 standard. This multiplied by 1800 gives 147428.67142s. or 7371l. 8s. 6d. 3.4q., the equivalent to one talent of pure gold.
2. To find the equivalent in British standard to a talent of pure silver, which is valued at four hundred and fifty pounds sterling, or five shillings the ounce troy.
The pound troy is 240 pennyweights; and our silver coin has 18 pennyweights of alloy in the pound. From 240 pennyweights take 18, and there will remain 222 pennyweights, the pure silver in the pound.
Now as 240 pennyweights: 222 pennyweights:: 20 pennyweights, the weight of a crown piece,: 18 1/2 pennyweights, the weight of the pure silver in the crown.
Then, as 18.5 pennyweights: 6 shillings:: 36000, the number of dwts. in a talent,: 9729.729729729729 shillings, or 486 9s. 8 3/4d., the equivalent in our coin to a talent of pure silver.
Example 1. To find the equivalent in British standard to the one hundred and twenty talents of gold which the queen of Sheba gave to King Solomon, 2 Chronicles 9:9.
Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
1 Kings 11:41-43 And the rest of the acts of Solomon, and all that he did, and his wisdom, are they not written in the book of the acts of Solomon...
book [heb] words.
2 Samuel 7:1-3 And it came to pass, when the king sat in his house, and the LORD had given him rest round about from all his enemies...
2 Samuel 12:1,25 And the LORD sent Nathan to David. And he came to him, and said to him, There were two men in one city; the one rich...
1 Kings 1:8,10,11,22-27,32-38 But Zadok the priest, and Benaiah the son of Jehoiada, and Nathan the prophet, and Shimei, and Rei...
1 Chronicles 29:29 Now the acts of David the king, first and last, behold, they are written in the book of Samuel the seer...
1 Kings 11:29 And it came to pass at that time when Jeroboam went out of Jerusalem, that the prophet Ahijah the Shilonite found him in the way...
1 Kings 14:2 And Jeroboam said to his wife, Arise, I pray you, and disguise yourself, that you be not known to be the wife of Jeroboam...
2 Chronicles 12:15 Now the acts of Rehoboam, first and last, are they not written in the book of Shemaiah the prophet...
2 Chronicles 13:22 And the rest of the acts of Abijah, and his ways, and his sayings, are written in the story of the prophet Iddo.
2 Chronicles 9:29 Parallel CommentariesActs Ahijah Ahi'jah Beginning Book Events First History Iddo Jeroboam Jerobo'am Last Matters Nathan Nebat Prophecy Prophet Recorded Records Reign Rest Seer Shiloh Shilonite Shi'lonite Solomon Solomon's Visions Words WrittenActs Ahijah Ahi'jah Beginning Book Events First History Iddo Jeroboam Jerobo'am Last Matters Nathan Nebat Prophecy Prophet Recorded Records Reign Rest Seer Shiloh Shilonite Shi'lonite Solomon Solomon's Visions Words WrittenTHE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica®.
2 Chronicles 9:29 Mobile Bible
2 Chronicles 9:29 Bible Suite
2 Chronicles 9:29 Biblia Paralela
2 Chronicles 9:29 Chinese Bible