1 John 2:3-5
And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.…
The text suggests two thoughts concerning morality."
I. IT IS THE ONLY PROOF OF A TRUE THEOLOGY. "Hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments."
1. Obedience is the certain result of a true theology. To know God is to love Him. If we love Him we shall keep His commandments.
(1) Keep them heartily.
(2) Keep them joyously. What we do in love we always do joyously.
2. Disobedience is a proof of a false theology. "He that saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." There is another thought suggested by the text concerning morality.
II. ITS SPIRIT IS THE DEVELOPMENT OF TRUE THEOLOGY. What is the spirit of genuine morality? Love.
1. And this love is in the obedient man.
2. And this love in him assures him of his union with God. "Hereby know we that we are in Him."
Parallel VersesKJV: And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.