2 Corinthians 1:1-2
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, to the church of God which is at Corinth…
I. THE SUPREME LAW. "By the will of God."
1. God has a will. He is, therefore, an intelligent, free personality. His will explains the origin, sustenance, and order of the universe; His will is the force of all forces, and law of all laws.
2. God has a will in relation to individual men. He has a purpose in relation to every man's existence, mission, and conduct. His will in relation to moral beings is the standard of all conduct and the rule of all destiny. Love is its mainspring.
II. THE APOSTOLIC SPIRIT.
1. The apostolic spirit involves subjection to Christ. "An apostle of Jesus Christ." Christ is the moral Master, he the loyal servant.
2. The apostolic spirit is that of special love for the good. He calls Timothy his "brother," and towards "the Church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia," he glows with loving sympathy. Love for souls, deep, tender, overflowing, is the essential qualification for the ministry.
III. THE CHIEF GOOD.
1. Here is the highest good. "Grace and peace."
2. Here is the highest good from the highest source. "From our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ."
Parallel VersesKJV: Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia: