And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in two from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
I. The INTIMATIONS CONVEYED thereby.
1. That the ceremonial dispensation was now abolished. Into the holy place none were permitted to enter but the high priest alone, and he but once a year, and only then with the blood of the annual atonement. But now it is exposed to public view. The design of its institution having been accomplished, God Himself has thrown it open, thereby intimating that it is of no further use, but that another way of propitiating Him is established.
2. That the barrier between Jew and Gentile is thrown down. The offerings presented in the holy place were for the Jewish people only. But now an atonement has been made for the whole world.
3. That the way to the holiest of all is opened. The way into the holy place was with the blood and incense; the way to heaven is through the blood and intercession of Christ, who has not only abolished separation, but brought life and immortality to light. The mists which hung over the future have been dissipated by the rising of the sun of righteousness, who has shed life, fertility, and beauty over the entire prospect.
II. The ENCOURAGEMENT AFFORDED thereby. In the rending of the veil we have exhibited —
1. The gracious designs of God concerning us. He would have us no longer to be on the outside of the temple, ,' far off" from Him. He would have us freed from all the evils of separation; He would have us enjoy all the pleasures that are at His right hand for evermore. This event ought to teach us —
2. Frequently to approach within the veil. There is nothing to hinder our approach; we are not confined to stated periods; the more frequently we come the more welcome we shall be.
3. Let us place all our confidence within the veil. Let us have the anchor of our hope there, sure and steadfast; thither the Forerunner has entered.
Parallel VersesKJV: And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;