And that which comes into your mind shall not be at all, that you say, We will be as the heathen, as the families of the countries…
I. AS AN EVIL TO WHICH THE GODLY ARE LIABLE.
1. The force of early habits. The spirit of self-indulgence and sensualism was the first spirit that animated us all. Its death requires time. Hence in unguarded moods it comes up again.
2. The force of social influence. In our industries, recreations, our literature and institutions, the spirit of Paganism breathes in all, and it tends to possess us of itself.
3. The force of satanic agency. The devil's great wish is that men should endeavour to get their "bread" — their happiness — out of "stones."
II. AS AN EVIL AGAINST WHICH THE GODLY SHOULD STRUGGLE.
1. By the growth of heavenly sentiments.
2. By closer fellowship with the Divine.
3. By a moral conquest over spiritual foes.
4. By a translation into the heavenly world.
Parallel VersesKJV: And that which cometh into your mind shall not be at all, that ye say, We will be as the heathen, as the families of the countries, to serve wood and stone.