Good and upright is the LORD: therefore will he teach sinners in the way.…
God guides the soul in a certain way. What is it?
I. IT IS THE WAY OF MORAL EXCELLENCE. It is described as —
1. "Judgment," i.e. rectitude.
2. "His way," the way which is in accordance with their nature.
3. "His covenant." All these expressions mean holiness, for thereinto doth God guide the soul.
II. OF EXPERIMENTAL BLESSEDNESS. "All the paths of the Lord are mercy (ver. 10).
1. They experience the mercy of God in their use. In healing their diseases, sustaining their existence, removing their perplexities, etc.,
2. The truth of God in their use. "Mercy and truth."
III. OF FORGIVENESS. "Pardon mine iniquity," etc. (ver. 11).
1. There is an urgent need for pardon; and —
2. A sovereign reason, — "Thy name's sake."
IV. OF MORAL WEALTH. Such wealth is —
1. Abundant. "His soul shall dwell at ease." He shall lodge in goodness, as the margin has it.
2. Permanent, "dwell."
3. Transmissible. "His seed shall inherit the earth." A truly gooey man can transmit his goodness to his children, and bring them into the spiritual inheritance. And these — not the owners of broad acres — are the true inheritors of the earth.
4. Free. "What man is he that feareth the Lord? Him," etc. It does not matter who he is, if he has true religion.
V. OF DIVINE FRIENDSHIP. "The secret of the Lord is with them that fear Him." The man who walks in this way gets so intimate and grows so friendly with God that he becomes initiated into His secrets, acquainted with His counsels. There is no mystery in this. We see it every day where there is strong mutual sympathy between two minds.
VI. OF ULTIMATE DELIVERANCE. "He shall pluck my feet out of the net."
1. Men are entangled in dangers. The devil has laid his snares in all directions.
2. True men will be delivered. The "net" will be broken, the snarer confounded, and the soul set free.
3. For their eyes are ever towards the Lord. God fills up the horizon of a good man's soul.
Parallel VersesKJV: Good and upright is the LORD: therefore will he teach sinners in the way.