Sketches of Four Hundred Sermons
Good understanding gives favor: but the way of transgressors is hard.
But who believes this? None who set their opinion against the testimony of revelation.
I. WHAT IS TO BE UNDERSTOOD BY THE WAY OF TRANSGRESSORS? Transgressor is but another name for sinner. Transgression supposeth either something done that was forbidden or something omitted that was commanded.
II. THE DOCTRINE OF THE TEXT RESPECTING THIS WAY. It is not rendered harder than it ought to be, through undue severity in God.
1. The kindness of God renders it difficult either to shun or to resist the light.
2. It is sometimes necessary for the Divine Being to carry Himself with some severity against daring and obdurate sinners, for a warning to others.
3. Jehovah's efforts to save render those who finally abuse His goodness singularly criminal. Improvements:
(1) How much sinners are deceived in this "way of the transgressors"!
(2) What madness will it be for any to continue in it!
(3) It will be impossible for any to be saved who will not quit it.
(4) What a mercy that we may yet do so!
(5) While we are in the way with the Lord, let us humble ourselves before Him, let us return to Him, and sue for His salvation.
(Sketches of Four Hundred Sermons.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Good understanding giveth favour: but the way of transgressors is hard.