1 Thessalonians 2:18
Why we would have come to you, even I Paul, once and again; but Satan hindered us.
Satan bears a threefold character — tempter, accuser, hinderer. As a hinderer he is obstructive, while as a tempter and accuser, he is destructive.
1. He inspires indifferentism where there ought to be enthusiasm.
2. He influences men to oppose inertia to advancement.
3. He fosters extraconservatism. They used to say of Lord Eldon, that "he prevented more good than any other man ever did. Wilberforce breasted opposition for forty six years, in fighting for abolition of the slave trade. William Carey for fifteen years faced the opposition of his own brethren in furthering missions.
4. He leads to criticism and ridicule of what is good.
5. He moves men to determined and open antagonism to what is good — under every pretext.
Parallel VersesKJV: Wherefore we would have come unto you, even I Paul, once and again; but Satan hindered us.