Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart on your bed, and be still. Selah.
I. FEEL REVERENT AWE. "Stand in awe." Tremble, and sin not. Awe is not a common emotion nowadays, Men are triflers rather than tremblers. True religion must have a savour of awe about it, for —
1. There is a God, and He is our judge.
2. There is a life to come. Behold that day of wrath when justice will sit upon the throne!
II. THOUGHTFUL SELF-EXAMINATION.
1. Think of the state of your heart. Are you right with God?
2. Commune with your heart in loneliness and quiet.
3. Think for yourself.
4. Keep on thinking, till you come to be still.
III. APPROACH UNTO GOD ARIGHT. "Offer the sacrifices of righteousness." Interpret thus, come to God in His own way, as Israel came bringing their sacrifices. They first made confession of sin. Bring the offering which God has divinely appointed and provided. Come to God by faith in Christ; plead His precious blood.
IV. EXERCISE FAITH. "Put your trust in the Lord." As willing to receive you. As He reveals Himself in Christ. For His Holy Spirit to renew you. For everything.
( C. H. Spurgeon.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.