Sketches of Sermons
And Noah built an altar to the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.
I. THE OCCASION ON WHICH THIS OFFERING WAS MADE.
1. How impressively would Noah and his family be reminded of the Divine forbearance which had been displayed to the whole world.
2. With what solemn awe would Noah and his family now view the earth bearing on every part of its surface the marks of recent vengeance.
3. With what adoring and grateful feeling would Noah and his family view their own preservation on this occasion.
II. ITS NATURE.
1. An expression of gratitude.
2. An acknowledgment of dependence.
3. A lively exhibition of his faith in the future atonement, as well as an appropriate testimony that his recent preservation was owing to the efficacy of that atonement.
III. ITS RESULTS.
1. The offering was accepted.
2. The promise which was given.
3. The covenant which was made.
(Sketches of Sermons.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.