I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you shall go: I will guide you with my eye.…
I. The way in which ALL men SHOULD BE controlled by God. "I will instruct thee and guide thee with Mine eye." This implies that men should be controlled —
1. Intelligently. For His "eye" to guide us we must have the power to watch and interpret it. God guides planets by His arm, brutes by blind impulse, intelligences by His look. How much meaning there often is in the human eye! — more than the richest vocabulary can express! How significant the look of God!
2. Readily. The mere look of God should be enough. We should not wait for words, not for whispers, still less for thunders. The attitude of the soul should be, "Lord, what wilt Thou have me to do? ....:Here am I; send me."
3. Constantly. The eye of God is everywhere.
II. The way in which SOME men ARE controlled by God. "Be not as the horse," etc. These words imply that some men under the control of God act —
1. Irrationally. "Like the horse and the mule they have no understanding" — that is, no understanding as to the right way of life.
2. Fractiously. "Whose mouth must be held in," etc. Thus it is with wicked men; they oppose God; they are determined to have their own way, But God holds them in by force.
3. Dangerously. "Lest they come near unto thee." Wicked men are dangerous; they would ruin the world if God did not rein them in.
Parallel VersesKJV: I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye.