Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he has made in the earth.…
I. THE ACTIVE AGENCY OF GOD.
1. In the multiplied disasters which abound. The various elements of nature, the raging hurricane, the thunders rolling along the sky, the lightnings flashing from cloud to cloud, the volcano vomiting rivers of fire, and the earthquake shaking kingdoms and levelling cities with the ground — all are His servants.
2. In the removal of the calamities by which we may be surrounded.
II. THE EXCLUSIVE SOVEREIGNTY OF GOD.
1. The duty urged. "Be still."
2. The reason adduced. "Know" —
(1) That God's supremacy is absolute.
(2) That His justice is unimpeachable.
(3) That His wisdom is unerring.
(4) That His goodness is unbounded.
3. The assurance given. "I will be exalted," etc.
III. THE GRACIOUS PROTECTION OF GOD. "The Lord of hosts is with us," etc.
1. The condition on which it is enjoyed. We must submit ourselves to the Lord and acknowledge His righteous claims before we can have Him on our side.
2. The blessedness it involves. "Happy is he," etc.
3. The effects. It should banish every painful apprehension, and fill us with transporting joy.
Parallel VersesKJV: Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth.