And the LORD said to Joshua, Get you up; why lie you thus on your face?…
I. DESPONDENCY SOMETIMES OVERTAKES THE GREATEST MEN.
1. Examples: Jacob, Elijah, David, &c.
2. The causes of despondency are numerous: remorse, disappointment, forebodings, failure, &c.
II. DESPONDENCY MUST BE STRUGGLED AGAINST: "Get thee up."
1. Regrets for the past are useless. What is done cannot be undone.
2. There is urgent work to do. Resolute, earnest activity is required.
3. Despondency exhausts strength and unfits for work. Despair unstrings nerves, relaxes muscles, prostrates energies.
4. Effort will shake off the oppressive load, and give fresh energy to your soul.
Parallel VersesKJV: And the LORD said unto Joshua, Get thee up; wherefore liest thou thus upon thy face?