And God said to Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shall you say to the children of Israel, I AM has sent me to you.
I. PERSONALITY — "I."
1. We attach three ideas to personality.
(1) Essential distinctness.
(2) Individual consciousness.
2. God's personality —
(1) Explains the unity of the universe.
(2) Meets the aspirations of human nature.
II. SELF-EXISTENCE — "I AM."
1. The independent amidst dependent beings.
2. The Unchangeable amidst a changing universe.
III. Un-searchableness — "I AM that I AM."
1. Mystery is essential to Deity.
2. Mystery is a want of human nature. Stirs intellect, wakes wonder, inspires reverent awe of souls.
Parallel VersesKJV: And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.