Bible Notes and Queries
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish…
This verse is one of the gems of the Bible, a star of the first magnitude. Observe three things.
I. HOW GOD IS AFFECTED TOWARDS THE COSMOS: He loved it.
1. Who is God? The God of the Bible.
2. What is the cosmos? The world of human life.
3. How they stood affected.
(1) Originally, in harmony.
(2) Latterly, in enmity.
(3) Now, through Christ, in harmony once more: without Christ, still at enmity.
4. New and Divine revelation: God is love.
II. HOW GOD MANIFESTED THIS AFFECTION.
1. What He gave — His Son.
(1) Only begotten.
(2) Well beloved.
2. How He gave.
III. FOR WHAT PURPOSE WAS THIS AFFECTION MANIFESTED.
1. Negatively: that man might not loose himself utterly from God, duty, happiness. Thus was the pity of God manifested.
2. Positively: that man may have life, age during life.
(Bible Notes and Queries.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.