Who has believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?…
The hindrances to believing in Him are these:
1. Ignorance. Men hear of Christ, but are not acquainted with Him.
2. An easy slightness; men do not labour after faith.
3. A careless security. They think themselves well enough without Him.
4. A light esteem of Christ. As we do not see our own needs, so not His worth.
5. A presumptuous conceit that we have entertained Christ already. Many think every slight wish, every trivial hope, will serve the turn.
6. Hardness of heart.
8. Carnal fears. These hinder the soul from closing with that, mercy that is reported to be in Christ. They are of divers sorts.
(1) Fear of God's anger, as if He were so displeased with us that certainly He did not intend Christ for us.
(2) Fear of being too bold with the promises.
(3) Fear of the sin of presumption.
9. Carnal reasonings from our sins.
10. Carnal apprehensions of Christ.
( T. Manton, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?