2 Peter 2:4-10
For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness…
I. That they are the most ANCIENT sinners. They were the first transgressors of Heaven's eternal law.
1. The uniqueness of their circumstances. They had no tempter. Adam had; so has his race ever since; so have we. All their propensities were in favour of holiness.
2. The force of their freedom. Having neither an outward tempter nor an inward propensity to wrong, they must have risen up against all the external circumstances and internal tendencies of that being.
II. That they are the most INFLUENTIAL sinners.
1. They were the original introducers of sin to this world.
2. They are the constant promoters of sin in this world.
III. That they are the most INCORRIGIBLE sinners. Instances of man's conversion from sin are numerous. Their incorrigibility shows two things.
1. That intellectual knowledge cannot convert.
2. That an experience of the evil of sin cannot convert.
IV. That they are the most MISERABLE of sinners. There are three things which indicate the extent of their misery.
1. Contrast between their present and past condition.
2. The vastness of their capacity.
3. The utter hopelessness of their state.
Parallel VersesKJV: For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;