2 Chronicles 29:17
Now they began on the first day of the first month to sanctify, and on the eighth day of the month came they to the porch of the LORD…
Let us consider —
I. THE WORK DONE (vers. 18, 19). What a grand work of an analogous character is thereby suggested — as a work, that may possibly be accomplished in the beginning of this year (1 Corinthians 3:16).
II. HOW IT CAME TO PASS THAT IT WAS DONE, AND "DONE SUDDENLY".
1. "God has prepared the people" (ver. 29).
2. In so doing He had rendered the priests and Levites greatly useful (vers. 12-16).
3. King Hezekiah greatly influenced the spirit of the priests, the Levites, and the people, as evident from the character of his address (vers. 5-11). But "there is another king, one Jesus," who builds the temple of the Lord, and cleanses it, to whom we are all invited to look, and who "shall bear the glory."
III. SOME IMMEDIATE RESULTS.
1. A great impulse given to the spirit of worship (vers. 28-30).
2. Extension of a spirit of liberality in connection with the worship and service of the Lord (ver.35).
3. Great joy. And that how valuable!
(1) In itself.
(2) In relation to moral improvement — for "the joy of the Lord is your strength."
(3) In relation to trials (Hebrews 3:17, 18).
(4) In relation to usefulness (Psalm 51:12, 13).
Parallel VersesKJV: Now they began on the first day of the first month to sanctify, and on the eighth day of the month came they to the porch of the LORD: so they sanctified the house of the LORD in eight days; and in the sixteenth day of the first month they made an end.
WEB: Now they began on the first [day] of the first month to sanctify, and on the eighth day of the month came they to the porch of Yahweh; and they sanctified the house of Yahweh in eight days: and on the sixteenth day of the first month they made an end.