For to us a child is born, to us a son is given: and the government shall be on his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful…
The principal object is to bring out the force of those two little words, "unto us."
I. IS IT SO?
1. If this Child is born to you, then you are born again. "But," saith one, "how am I to know whether I am born again or not?"
(1) Has there been a change effected by Divine grace within you?
(2) Has there been a change in you in the exterior?
(3) The very root and principle of thy life must become totally new.
2. If this Child is born to you, you are a child; and the question arises, are you so? Man grows from childhood up to manhood naturally; in grace men grow from manhood down to childhood, and the nearer we come to true childhood, the nearer we come to the image of Christ.
3. If this Son is given to you, you are a son yourself.
4. If unto us a Son is given, then we are given to the Son. Are you given up to Christ?
II. IF IT IS SO, WHAT THEN? If it is so, why am I doubtful today? Why are we sad! Why are our hearts so cold?
III. IF IT IS NOT SO, WHAT THEN?
1. Confess thy sins.
2. Renounce thyself.
3. Go to the place where Jesus died in agony.
( C. H. Spurgeon.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.