I. AS TO THEIR METHOD. The God that "is greater than man," who worketh secretly and "giveth not account of any of his matters," giveth instruction:
1. In a dream, in the visions of the night; opening the ears of men, and sealing their instruction.
2. By the severities of affliction; when man is "chastened with pain upon his bed." This is applicable to Job; and the former may have been mentioned gently to introduce this.
II. AS TO THEIR PURPOSE. This is always gracious. It is to save from impending danger, and to lead in safe and good ways.
1. To restrain man from evil paths. "To withdraw him from his purpose."
2. To hide pride from man. To bring down the high looks of the self-complacent and the wicked.
3. To save from untimely death, and from the weapons of destructive violence. To keep "his life from perishing by the sword." Sin tends to death both by natural causes and by violence. Then Elihu views these corrections -
III. IN THEIR HAPPY RESULT.
(1) Should the mediating Counsellor be near, and the way of life, the right way - the way of righteousness - be pointed out; and
(2) the smitten one return with repentance, saying, "I have sinned, and perverted that which was right;" and
(3) lifting up his voice "pray unto God;" then
(4) shall the Divine deliverance come:
(a) in an expression of the Divine forbearance;
(b) in admission to the Divine favour - "he shall see his face with joy;"
(c) in a gracious restoration, delivering "his soul from going into the pit'" and bringing him to rejoice in the light.
This is the Divine response to repentance which Elihu urges upon Job. Happy is every smitten one who, returning to God, finds a ransom price paid for his soul, and rejoices in a deliverance which restores to him the days of his youth, when "his very flesh becometh fresher than a child's." - R.G.
Wherefore, Job, I pray thee, hear my speeches.
(Joseph Parker, D. D.)
LinksJob 33:1 NIV
Job 33:1 NLT
Job 33:1 ESV
Job 33:1 NASB
Job 33:1 KJV
Job 33:1 Bible Apps
Job 33:1 Parallel
Job 33:1 Biblia Paralela
Job 33:1 Chinese Bible
Job 33:1 French Bible
Job 33:1 German Bible
Job 33:1 Commentaries