And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ…
I. We shall never be aroused to magnanimous efforts till we have a clear apprehension of THE INVISIBLE ENEMY WHO FOMENTS ALL THE OPPOSITION AGAINST CHRIST AND HIS GOSPEL.
1. In the general description, mark, first, his deadly hatred to God and goodness, implied in the names Satan, the Enemy, the Adversary, the Wicked One. Next, his rage and fury, as the great Red Dragon, the Apollyon or Destroyer. Further, his craft and subtilty, as the Old Serpent, in allusion to the form under which he seduced our first parents. Next, the extent of his dominion, the whole world lying in wickedness, or, in the wicked one.
2. And what is the general method of Satan's opposition to Christ, and the salvation of men? His grand vantage-ground is the tendency in human corruption to listen to all his suggestions. He thus works his way unperceived into our hearts.
3. The place where Satan carries on this opposition is set forth in this symbolical passage as his heaven, from the popular notion of heaven as a place of eminence, of ease, safety, and enjoyment. It imports, here, the visible kingdom of Satan in its full pride and power; from which, when he is dispossessed, he is said to be cast down unto the earth.
II. THE MEANS OF RESISTING THIS GREAT ADVERSARY.
1. The faithful overcame by the blood of the Lamb; and in. what manner did they do this?
(1) By trusting to it for their own salvation;
(2) By proclaiming it to others, as men touched with the love of Him who shed it;
(3) By seeing all the purposes of Almighty God centre in it.
III. THE ISSUE OF THE CONFLICT. "They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb."
(Bp. Daniel Wilson.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
WEB: I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying, "Now is come the salvation, the power, and the Kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ; for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them before our God day and night.