Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to your word.
I. THE QUESTION.
1. Man's ways need cleansing.
2. Youth is the most important time for this.
(1) The youngest person has contracted defilement and sin.
(2) The young may die.
(3) Youth is a time of the greatest danger.
(4) The young are forming those associations and habits which go on increasing in strength, and give colour to all the actions of their future lives.
(5) In youth the hopes of your parents, and friends, and masters, look for some reward for the pains they took with you in early infancy.
II. THE ANSWER.
1. How does the Word of God provide for this cleansing of the way?
(1) By pointing out to. the young man the evil of his way. The Bible tells him what God is, and what he is, and what evil is in him and in his way.
(2) By discovering an infallible remedy for the disorders of his nature. And that remedy is the salvation that is by Jesus Christ.
(3) By becoming a directory in all the paths of duty to which they may be called.
2. You must take heed to it. This implies —
(1) Care and thoughtfulness.
(D. Wilson, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: BETH. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.