1 Chronicles 22:16
Of the gold, the silver, and the brass, and the iron, there is no number. Arise therefore, and be doing, and the LORD be with you.
This charge has respect to and gathers force from —
I. THE PAST. Upon the life and conscience of Solomon were concentrated the considerations and responsibilities which arise out of —
1. The relations of the family covenant. Solomon was a sou of promise.
2. The influence of parental example.
3. The Divine faithfulness.
II. THE PRESENT. From the present several motives and ., encouragements are drawn.
1. Problems have been solved, paths of duty have been made clear, and avenues of effort and usefulness have been opened up.
2. The present was made rich in material which had been prepared and laid up in the past.
3. These preparations brought within the reach of Solomon opportunities such as had been enjoyed by no one before him. The preparation of means and material create opportunities. Providence has created for every Christian greater spiritual opportunities than Solomon enjoyed, and the responsibilities arising out of these opportunities are solemn and urgent.
4. All these motives, arguments, and considerations, drawn from the past and present, unite in a resistless appeal for action: "Arise and be doing."
III. THE CHARGE HAS RESPECT TO THE FUTURE.
1. Encouragement in his undertaking. Solomon had the promise of the Divine presence and blessing.
2. He was also encouraged in his undertaking by the fact that in the accomplishment of it the desires, hopes, and prayers of pious ancestors would be fulfilled.
3. By thus fulfilling the pious desires of godly ancestors, Solomon set in operation spiritual agencies which carry down to future ages blessings in ever widening streams of diffusive beneficence.
1. In our work we use materials and agencies which have been prepared by kings, prophets, apostles, and martyrs. All the achievements and improvements of modern science and civilisation are available in Christian work.
2. In the kingdom of God them is a place and a sphere for talents and service of all kinds.
(S. J. Wilson, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Of the gold, the silver, and the brass, and the iron, there is no number. Arise therefore, and be doing, and the LORD be with thee.