After these things Jesus went over the sea of Galilee, which is the sea of Tiberias.…
This miracle differs from others —
1. In that it is not so open to the cavils of unbelief. The others are often explained on the theory of Christ's superior knowledge and skill. Here this utterly breaks down.
2. The miracles of healing were wrought to draw the minds of men to Christ as Creator; this to show Himself the maintainer of both the natural and spiritual life.
I. CHRIST THE PRESERVER OF MEN.
1. Of their bodies. Life can no more maintain itself than create itself.
2. Of their souls, by His Spirit.
II. CHRIST EMPLOYS MEANS IN PRESERVING MEN. He consulted His disciples, He employed bread, He gave bread to the disciples for distribution. So —
1. Physically Christ preserves men by the employment of natural resources utilized by intelligence and industry.
2. Spiritually by means of His Word, public worship and sacraments.
III. CHRIST PRESERVES MEN SEPARATELY. There was a multitude to the disciples, but there was no multitude to Him. He saw each in the singularity of His own Being and need. He who gave the individual life of the millions of our race, maintains it second by second. It is needful to remember this —
1. In order that we may recognize that our individual life is His.
2. That we may recognize His hand in all our gifts.
(1) Of prosperity.
(2) Of adversity.
(Bp. S. Wilberforce.)
Parallel VersesKJV: After these things Jesus went over the sea of Galilee, which is the sea of Tiberias.