Say you to the righteous, that it shall be well with him: for they shall eat the fruit of their doings.…
I. WHO THESE RIGHTEOUS ARE.
1. A "righteous" man before God is made so by the imputation of Christ's holy obedience, put to his account.
2. He has a righteous kingdom implanted and set up in his soul. A righteous man has proof of his being such.
3. He can feed upon nothing but God's righteous provision. He cannot feed upon his own obedience, or upon the mere letter of the word, or upon his mere judgment. He must have "precious faith" to "eat the flesh and drink the blood of the Son of Man."
4. He loves righteous fruits — a holy walk in all godliness and fear.
II. THE VERY ENCOURAGING LANGUAGE SPOKEN RESPECTING THEM. It shall be well with them.
1. In providence.
2. In spiritual things. All thy temptations, all thy darkness, all thy perplexities, all thy disquietudes, all thy wanderings, God will overrule. There shall never be a night, but morning shall come; never a day of adversity, but a day of prosperity shall follow; never an emptying, but there shall be a filling; never a bringing down, but He will raise thee up again.
Parallel VersesKJV: Say ye to the righteous, that it shall be well with him: for they shall eat the fruit of their doings.